A Telling Tale- Part I: (Read a prologue to a telling tale from the archives to know more)


The bus trudges ahead. Everyone had alighted by then. And as usually happens we two were left for the last stop. I was in the backseat and she two seats behind from the front.

(I usually sit in the backseat with my group of friends and she sits in front with someone by her side always till the time everyone gets down. There was nothing but a slowly brewing fondness for each other that was making us uncomfortable to be with each other when everyone was around.)

We were four of us in the bus. Driver, Helper, Me and She. And this was the quotidian routine of our itinerary.

I got up and went to her and sat next to her. She looked at me and gave me the space. The helper looked at me and smiled at me. I reciprocated. Perhaps he was well aware of our shenanigan. He stood at the door overlooking the traffic and passing vehicles. By that time a little drizzle had started and there was pale darkness out side as the dark clouds overshadowed the twilight sunlight.

I put across my hand upon her shoulder and got cosy towards her. She looked at me and I looked at her with a smile and raised my eyebrows in an attempt to tease her. She didn't say anything. I got sceptical. There was a certain abnormality in her behaviour as if someone has chained her and I could sense she was gloomy.

After a brief time she puts her head on my upper limb and slowly leans towards me placing her head near my colour bone. She never did like this. Her eyes were closed. I was in a state of what-to-say-or-what-to-do kind of perpetual confusion. Perhaps silence was the best medicine to combat this situation.

I suddenly felt raindrops dripping over my hand which was placed right near the window covering her. She got up and made herself as raindrops had partially drenched her dress.

Let me shut the door.- I told her and stood up to drag the window pane down. I did it and again sat down on my place.

By this time it had started raining heavily and raindrops were bombarding our glass door. we could hear the drops hammering our bus roof and glass shield. The helper went ahead and started to shut all the window panes of the bus to prevent seats from getting wet.

I again put my hand across her and started fondling with her hair by running my fingers over and in between the strands. I had a knack of doing this who ever the girl would sit next to me. It felt nice with no malice towards them.

Now breaking the monotony I asked her. What happened?

She didn't say anything. I gave a very inquisitive look.

Now she looked into my eyes. My hands still caressing her silken hair.

Sahil is too emotional na. He gave me a kiss. She said pointing to her cheek with her finger.

Thud..Thud..Thud.. All my senses went numb.

I was tongue-tied. What could I have done??

I knew Sahil was approaching her. He had confided in me. I was that kind of trustworthy friend to everyone. But I didn't know the extent of it. I never took him seriously.

I didn't say anything. She was upset. May be mulling over the kiss. May be feeling guilty.

She turns her head and looks towards the window.Nothing was visible outside. It was raining heavy.

I turned her face to mine. Her puffy looking kohl-eyes looked so beautiful and without any thought I kissed her in her lips. Just a peck.

Which one is better.? I asked her nonchalantly with a cunning smile on my face before she could understand what had just happened.

I was pretty good at infusing humour in everything that seemed serious to leaven the situation and mood. May be that was the reason I was liked by girls or so I thought.

She smiled. You know that girly smile with wry humour.

You are so beautiful that anybody can lose himself at any weak moment, let alone Sahil. It is not Sahil's fault.

I kissed her again. I didn't know what drove me that day towards her.

She reciprocated with a deep and lip smacking kiss. We got completely involved.

My one hand held her neck and another placed around her waist as we sat side by side. I was feeling every beat of my nerves. Heartbeats ran faster than ever. She smelt nicer than ever.

The kiss spree ended on a vampire kiss, necking her and smelling her.

We sat close to each other and could not see eye to eye. It was embarrassing.

Just then the helper calls out for me to get down as my stop had arrived.

Mine comes first and then hers.

No. I told the helper.

I will alight while coming back. I will see her off.

I wanted to be with her.

We sat holding each other's hand but didn't speak anything.

The bus reached her stop. It was pitch dark now. And rain had subsided with only a little drizzle happening time to time.

I stood up to give her the way.

Are you Ok? I asked her.

She nodded her head and uttered in a squeaky voice.
Hmm. 

Bye. She said while sidestepping her hair over her ear that was covering part of her face.

Bye. Go carefully. I said

I was all smiles that night. I messaged her late at night.

Have you slept?

Didn't get any answer.














Comments

  1. This feeling of innocent love often leaves people flabbergasted. This memory of an uncanny situation of the night which has left a sore scar on one's heart will ways be remembered or rather be cherished forever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment