It's a Dangal between Pop Patriotism and Patriotism

Statutory Warning:
Please don't pounce on me or troll me with your typo jargon for putting across my point of view. I know it gives you all a leeway to satiate your inner instinct by venting out your pent-up anger.

Gentle Reminder: Ours is a democratic country who you call Hindustan/Bharat/India.

Why I chose to write on this much debated and probably much argued over a decision made by the highest judicial forum of this country is quite interesting. And then it is perhaps the only diktat that is followed by masses in unison in recent times. Though some do it willingly and some do it unwillingly. But it is followed.

Our immensely revered National Anthem was made mandatory to be played at Cinema halls before movie screening for the love of the motherland .(As was cited by Supreme Court while reading out the decision.)

Yes Great. Beautiful. It will definitely push us to think of the country and its vast culture even though for a while. But indeed it will be gratifying to soak in the air of patriotism engulfing your heart and soul. While it all seemed fine, on the other side the order for standing up during the play and making it mandatory as well seemed preposterous. Why the hell do I need to stand up? Is it a measurement to my patriotism? Is standing up for the National Anthem and uttering something else nonsense in your mind make you a true Indian? Do my love and respect for the country is liable to such kind of crabby actions?

Don't jump the gun and construct your opinion of me being an anti-national or country hater or country betrayer. Different strokes for different folks.

This emotion was spurred a bit at the latest screening of Dangal: another quintessential master piece by Aamir Khan. But This is not a review of the movie story line. Apart from being a brilliant film and a heart choking real life story of struggle and triumph, Dangal also gave me a reason to think of the latest craze that we all moviegoers have it common. Pop-Patriotism.

While waiting in the lounge area at PVR before the scheduled screening, I noticed people who were entering the hall stood still like a mannequin challenge with stuffs in their hand. I could hear from the distance Jana Gana being played. In a fit of amusement I just blabbered to my friend who had accompanied me to the movie..Why do people need to stand up during the play?? More to that why people coerce others to stand up? Why did supreme court made it mandatory to stand up??

It was just a casual conversation. I supposed so. But I got a very violent reaction from my friend completely out of the blue.
Why not!! Said my friend. It is a matter of respect. You cannot disrespect our anthem by sitting idle.

Ohh Gosh!! I was shaken a bit.
But why so..I asked. Why do I need to stand up? I am very much attached to my country. I am enjoying every bit of the anthem. I am in awe of Gurudev's magical words , the musical strumming of my heartbeats which is in sync with the lyrics that is being played and my mouth is automatically lip syncing the hymn that describes India in a true sense. I love my country like everyone else. But why to stand up and that too unwillingly only as a norm to do it.

No. This is not acceptable. Said my friend. It is how respect is to be shown. We are a Hindu rashtra. We are not living in a christian country. You have to stand up. It is a must for all. It is your duty.

Again. I was shaken a bit. What is it that Hindu rashtra? I was tongue-tied for a second.

Then said my friend breaking the silence. Why do people during football matches in abroad stand up??

Being unaware of the nitty-gritties of the football world or for that matter to any sport extravaganza, I was bowled over by the comment shot at me.

Again. I was gobsmacked.

May be. I said. After holding my breath. But that must be a personal choice. It is to him/her whether to stand or not. Definitely not by coercion. Not because of the fear of being trampled upon by some self-righteous patriot holding the masal of patriotism.

But my dyed in the wool jingoistic friend was still adamant on his point of view. I could see the desperation and irritation in my friend's body language. I too was little disheartened.

I backed off and diverted our discussion to the movie.

But what kept me pondering over throughout the movie was the sudden reaction or the provocation that my friend showed during the conversation. I realized what patriotism meant to him. Perhaps he belonged to those tribes who are shaping a new definition of patriotism in India. If you love your country then you must blindly follow the nationalistic instruction of the system or for that matter the people who impose it forcefully on you. Stand up or else be ready to face the wrath of patriots who are holding cudgels to teach you what true patriotism is.

Now it was the climax scene. Geeta Kumari (The eponymous wrestler) wins gold at commonwealth games and National Anthem is played to glorify India's pride. Aamir Khan aka Mahavir Singh Phogat peeps out of the window in surprise before he runs hectically to the podium.

It was indeed a proud moment. I felt a gush of patriotic feeling running through my blood and heart. I stood up and some others in the audience too.  But to my utter surprise my friend by my side sat pretty quietly with legs wide open and hands folded. I did not say him anything. I didn't force him to stand up. Not only he but also from the audience who very obediently stood up for the Anthem prior to the screening of the movie did not even hunch a little in the climax scene. My friend then stood up pretty hesitantly though only to oblige me. I smiled a little. Then felt proud of myself and on my definition of patriotism. And I understood the patriot that my friend had in him. Hop On and Hop Off.

I questioned myself.

Do I need to bow down to my parents and touch their feet everyday for to show them my respect and love for them? I would rather say I remember them at every waking hour and pray for their goodness. Do I need to visit temple and stand in queues to show my gratitude for the almighty? I would rather say I love to sit in my home and pray to him silently. Do I need to profess my love for my beloved every now and then to make her realize how much I love her?  I would rather love to be by her side through thick and thin and sick and sin and wish her good luck and wellness without speaking a word.

While these thoughts hovered over my mind, another point put forth by my friend struck me hard.
Why is it that we burn the dead and not throw them out in open to rot.?? We have certain rituals to do. And we must follow that. I could not understand the essence of this statement.

I was dumbstruck again.

Comments

Post a Comment